WHAT IS PMKVY?
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE). The objective of this Skill Certification Scheme is to enable a large number of Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood. Individuals with prior learning experience or skills will also be assessed and certified under Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Approved for another four years (2016-2020) to benefit 10 million youth Allocated Budget 12,000 Crores.
ABOUT PMKVY(PRADHAN MANTRI KAUSHAL VIKAS YOJANA)
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education currently caters to over 3 Crore students, which comes to a Gross Enrolment Ratio of 21.1% and the dropout rate at each level is in higher side. There is a large requirement of skilled persons in the core engineering and it is possible to train the dropouts from the higher education system is these skills. However, the traditional higher education system in the country is rigid in terms of duration. Keeping in view these National Programmes, Ministry of Human Resource Development directed All India Council for Technical Education, New Delhi to run the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana for Technical Institutions (PMKVY-TI). National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) will be the Strategic Partner in implementing PMKVY – TI project with AICTE. The main objective of this project is to provide skill based training to the school and college drop outs who to pursue/attain higher order skills and living in the vicinity of College.Under this Scheme, Training and Assessment fees are completely paid by the Government.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PMKVY
- * Create opportunities for all to acquire skills, especially for youth, women and disadvantaged groups (Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and Other Backward Classes)
- * Promote commitment by all stakeholders to own skill development initiatives.
- * Develop a high-quality skilled workforce that will help emerging employment market needs
- * Enable effective coordination between different ministries, the Centre and the States and public and private providers.
Key Components of the Scheme
- 1 .Short Term TrainingThe Short Term Training imparted at PMKVY Training Centres (TCs) is expected to benefit candidates of Indian nationality who are either school/college dropouts or unemployed. Apart from providing training according to the National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF), TCs shall also impart training in Soft Skills, Entrepreneurship, Financial and Digital Literacy. Duration of the training varies per job role, ranging between 150 and 600 hours. Upon successful completion of their assessment, candidates shall be provided placement assistance by Training Partners (TPs). Under PMKVY, the entire training and assessment fees are paid by the Government. Payouts shall be provided to the TPs in alignment with the Common Norms. Trainings imparted under the Short Term Training component of the Scheme shall be NSQF Level 5 and below.
- 2. Recognition of Prior Learning Individuals with prior learning experience or skills shall be assessed and certified under the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) component of the Scheme. RPL aims to align the competencies of the unregulated workforce of the country to the NSQF. Project Implementing Agencies (PIAs), such as Sector Skill Councils (SSCs) or any other agencies designated by MSDE/NSDC, shall be incentivized to implement RPL projects in any of the three Project Types (RPL Camps, RPL at Employers Premises and RPL centers). To address knowledge gaps, PIAs may offer Bridge Courses to RPL candidates.
- 3. Special Projects The Special Projects component of PMKVY envisages the creation of a platform that will facilitate trainings in special areas and/or premises of Government bodies, Corporate or Industry bodies, and trainings in special job roles not defined under the available Qualification Packs (QPs)/National Occupational Standards (NOSs). Special Projects are projects that require some deviation from the terms and conditions of Short Term Training under PMKVY for any stakeholder. A proposing stakeholder can be either Government Institutions of Central and State Government(s)/Autonomous Body/Statutory Body or any other equivalent body or corporate who desire to provide training to candidates.
- 4. Kaushal and Rozgar MelaSocial and community mobilization is extremely critical for the success of PMKVY. Active participation of the community ensures transparency and accountability, and helps in leveraging the cumulative knowledge of the community for better functioning. In line with this, PMKVY assigns special importance to the involvement of the target beneficiaries through a defined mobilization process. TPs shall conduct Kaushal and Rozgar Melas every six months with press/media coverage; they are also required to participate actively in National Career Service Melas and on-ground activities.
- 5. Placement GuidelinesPMKVY envisages to link the aptitude, aspiration, and knowledge of the skilled workforce it creates with employment opportunities and demands in the market. Every effort thereby needs to be made by the PMKVY TCs to provide placement opportunities to candidates, trained and certified under the Scheme. TPs shall also provide support to entrepreneurship development.
- 6. Monitoring GuidelinesTo ensure that high standards of quality are maintained by PMKVY TCs, NSDC and empaneled Inspection Agencies shall use various methodologies, such as self-audit reporting, call validations, surprise visits, and monitoring through the Skills Development ManagementSystem (SDMS). These methodologies shall be enhanced with the engagement of latest technologies. The scheme will be implemented through the National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
OPPORTUNITIES TO 10TH/12TH/ITI/DIPLOMA PASS/FAIL STUDENTS
- * Government is extremely serious about the youth of this country and wants them to have a Sustainable livelihood
- * PMKVY is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), Implemented by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC).
- * Employment opportunities post completion of training and the course duration proposed by the TP (fixed classroom hours and practical training hours).
- * After the successful assessment, candidates will be given industry recognized Government Certificates.
- * The scheme is funded by the Government of India