MADANAPALLE

HISTORY OF MADANAPALLE

The history of Madanapalle was dated back to 907 during Chola Kingdom. Previously the town was located to west of Sri Yogabhogeswara Swami Temple. The vastu sastra revealed that there would not be any development of town as it is located in that area. Then the Palegar Sriman Ahobilanayani thought to change the place of town. They left the cow to gaze the grass. The cow started gazing the grass along the forest and stopped at a particular place. That was the place decided for initiation of construction of new town. Ahobilanayani varu constructed fort around the town. Later on it destroyed with the age. The present streets in Madanapalle like Kota Street, Agarthala street, Sepoy street are the reminiscences of previous establishments.

Madanapalle was ruled by Vijayanagara Palegars namely Basanna and Madanna. In memory of their names, the two hills on the east of Madanapalle were named as “Madanna Hill” and “Basavanna Hill” which gradually transformed to Madinikonda and Basinikonda.

During 907 - 955, Yadavanayikas and Hoyasalas ruled by Vijayanagara kingdom. After its downfall, it went under the rule of Golkonda nawabs during 1565. During 1713, the Kadapa Nawab, Abdul Nabi Khan captured Madanapalle. Madanapalle was transformed from Karnataka provinson to Kadapa division. There was war between Kadapa Nawabs and Maharastra rulers for the sake of Madanapalle and Pungnaoor provision. Kadapa Nawab was defeated by Balajirao Peshi and captured Madanapalle. Later, Mysore Maharaja occupied Gurram Konda. Tippu Sultan defeated Hyder ali and took great care of Madanapalle and Punganoor divisions.

Sir Thomas Munro was first collector of Cuddapah. He constructed a small thatched house at the present Collector’s bunglow and visited Madanapalle every summer. In 1850, Madanapalle was developed as subdivision and F.B.Manoly was the first Sub Collector. The town experienced several natural calamities like floods, famines and epidemics.

The other historical places include the Chennakesava Swamy Temple at a distance of 47 km from Madanapalle which was built in the 14th century by Krishna Devarayalu. The other place to visit is the Mallaya Konda temple built by Chola raja in the 14th century. The Kolabailu water falls is just 15 km from the town. Venugopalaswami temple located in Thettu is just 15 km from the town.

Madanapalle is a place, with different religions mixing together in an interesting display of diversity. In this place, major religious groups such as Hindus, Christians and Muslims live together in relative harmony. There are several important religious spots in the town such as the Sri Lord Venkateswara Temple, the Swamy Ayyappa Temple, the Saptha Kanyakalu Temple and the Sri Anjaneya Temple. The Shiridi Saibaba Temple, one of the oldest temples of Saibaba in India, is also located at Madanapalle. Churches include the Arogyamatha Church, the Indiranagar Masjid and Chamberlain Church and the CSI Church. Culture-wise, the town is a center of vernacular diversity. The literary languages being used are Telugu and Urdu, with many organizations serving as literary fields to the two. The major ones include the Anjuman Taraqui Urdu and the Telugu Poet's Association.